Translator Or Interpreter Services

If you have a friend or family member who doesn't speak English and they'd like to contact us, there are a couple of ways that this can be done.

Using a friend or family member as interpreter

A customer unable to speak English can be identified through a non-account holder. However, the non-account holder must act solely as an interpreter and the account holder must be present during the conversation.

The account holder must give verbal authorisation for Optus to discuss details with the non-account holder. The account holder will need to provide their name, address, date of birth, phone number and username or account number.

Alternatively, the non-English speaking account holder can nominate an English-speaking Third Party Authority (TPA).

Using the Translating and Interpreting Service (TIS)

Non-English speaking account holders can also call the Australian Government’s Translating and Interpreting Service (TIS) on 131 450 and ask to speak with Optus (note that you will need to give them the phone number for Optus that you want them to call on your behalf). The TIS will arrange for a translator between the customer and Optus.