Lost, Stolen or Found Your Mobile Device?

If your phone or tablet has been lost or stolen, we recommend following the steps below:

Step 1: Has your phone been Lost or Stolen?

Not sure if your device has been lost or stolen?

  • If you have access to another phone, try calling your mobile number to see if you can hear your device ringing or if someone answers. (You can also try sending an SMS)
  • Check if there have been any calls, messages or usage since you noticed your device was missing
  • If your device has a 'location feature' (e.g. Find my iPhone), use it to locate your device. If your device is shown to be in an unfamiliar location, contact the police rather than recovering it yourself

Back to Top

Step 2: Contact us

If you've confirmed that your device has been lost or stolen, call Customer Service immediately on:

From within Australia, call us on 133 937. From overseas, call us on +61 2 8082 5678 (free from any Optus roaming mobile phone)

We will offer to:

  • Bar the service ~ required for insurance claims

This prevents unauthorised outgoing calls, messages and cellular data (internet access). Barring may also deactivate other functions on your device.

Note: It can take up to 24 hours to bar the service.

  • Block the IMEI number ~ required for insurance claims

We'll give you the option of blocking the IMEI number to prevent another SIM card being used in your device. The block applies to all carriers in Australia and will bar calls, SMS and data on your device.

Get information on locating your IMEI number here.

Note: It can take up to 24 hours to block the IMEI.

  • Cancel AutoRecharge

If you have a Prepaid service with AutoRecharge, we'll advise cancelling this to stop any automatic recharges from occurring. For information on cancelling AutoRecharge click here.

What if I'm not the Account Holder?

If you're not the Account Holder of the service, you can only request a bar on the service, you will not be able to request a block of the IMEI number. The Account Holder must contact Optus within 24 hours to confirm that the bar on the service should remain active.

Back to Top

Step 3: Protect your personal data & contact the police

Protect your personal data

Immediately change your usernames and / or passwords if you have mobile banking, social media, email; and/or utility applications on your device that hold or access your personal data. If your mobile device features a 'remote wipe function', consider using this to protect your personal data.

Contact the police ~ required for insurance claims

We recommend contacting your local police station to file a police report for all lost or stolen devices. The police will need to know your IMEI number to make a report.

Back to Top

Step 4: Make a claim (Insurance claims only)

If you've got Device Protect Insurance or Yes Cover Insurance, you can make a claim for your lost or stolen handset.

Before making a claim, you must have filed a police report and blocked the IMEI number.

For more information on insurance and making a claim, check out this page.

Back to Top

Step 5: Replace your device

If you want to replace your lost or stolen device, you can:

  • Buy a new device online
  • Get a Prepaid Starter Kit or a Postpaid SIM card from an Optus store to use in a spare Mobile Phone, Tablet or Modem. Once you have your new SIM card, all you'll need to do is activate it
  • Buy a second-hand device. When buying a used device, always check the IMEI number to make sure it has not been barred or blocked. Optus can only unblock a device with the original Account Holder's permission

Back to Top

Step 6: I found my Lost or Stolen device

If you've recovered your lost or stolen device, call Customer Service.

From within Australia, call us on 133 937. From overseas, call us on +61 2 8082 5678 (free from any Optus roaming mobile phone).

We will unbar the service and unblock the IMEI number.

Note: It can take up to 24 hours to unbar your service and unblock your device

We recommend that you set up AutoRecharge again (if you have a Prepaid service) and to notify the police if you filed a report with them.

Back to Top


Still have a question? Chat with us online now.