Who and what plans are eligible?
Available to new and existing Optus customers who sign up a new service on selected 24 month mobile handset plans from 13 August (excludes Business plans and Tech Fund plans), with a maximum of 5 services on their account.
If I cancel my service, return my phone and sign a new 24 month mobile handset plan with a different phone using the same service number, will I be eligible for the Optus Coverage Commitment for my new plan?
No, you will not be eligible to claim the Optus Coverage Commitment for your new plan.
How do I cancel my Optus service under Optus Coverage Commitment?
Call us on 133 937 or chat to us here explain the mobile coverage issue you are having. We will investigate the issue and confirm whether it’s a mobile coverage issue. If it is, we will confirm the next steps of cancelling (including discussing whether you want to port your number first) and returning the phone.
What mobile coverage issues can I claim under Optus Coverage Commitment?
Mobile coverage issues include dropped calls, data drop outs, problems with SMS/MMS, inability to connect to data while on the move, or poor reception at your home, place of work or holiday home or slow data speeds. Once you explain the mobile coverage issue that you are experiencing, Optus will investigate the issue and confirm your eligibility to claim the Coverage Commitment.
What will I have to pay if I choose to return my phone?
If you are a My Plan Plus customer and return your phone in good working order within 14 days of the cancellation request, you will not pay any further handset repayments. If you are a My Plan Flex customer and return your phone in good working order within 14 days of the cancellation request, you will not pay any further monthly lease charges and Optus will waive the lease plan cancellation fee.
Optus will credit the access charge and handset charge for the month of cancellation. You will however be required to pay:
- Anything not included in your plan (e.g. Mobile TV streaming, additional data, talk or text usage, roaming, additional subscriptions, value added services, insurance or accessories). Please note that if your mobile service is bundled with any other services, the cancellation of your mobile service under the Optus Coverage Commitment may affect the pricing of bundled services under the terms of the bundle
Business accounts with 5 or more connections are not eligible for this offer.
How will I know that I have received my credits that I am entitled to under the Coverage Commitment?
While Optus is processing your Coverage Commitment claim, you may still receive a bill from us. If you are returning the handset, we will apply all credits to your billing account once we have received the handset and processed your cancellation. If you are keeping the handset, we will apply all credits to your billing account after we have processed your cancellation. You can always check your account balance via My Optus app. If your account is no longer active, we will refund any credit balance to you.
What is 'good working order'?
Good working order means the phone is fully functional. That means the phone makes and receives calls and texts, connects to the internet and is not physically damaged (except for normal wear and tear as reasonably determined by us).
- Can power on and off
- Has a touch screen and battery that are fully functional
- Is not physically damaged (e.g. does not have liquid damage, cracked, discoloured or bleeding screen (LCD) or casing, does not have any missing buttons or damage to other components such as charging ports or SIM tray)
- Does not have any missing, disassembled, customised or non-genuine parts (this does not affect your rights under the Australian Consumer Law)
- Is not cracked (including the touchscreen) and does not have any severe scratches (normal wear and tear such as light marks, and scratches are okay).
- Has any locking features disabled e.g. Find my iPhone on iOS devices
- It is not IMEI blocked
- Is the same phone you purchased or leased from us under the mobile plan
If you're still unsure ask our Optus staff.
What do I need to do before I return the phone?
Before returning the phone, please ensure it's in good working order, backed up and that any personal / confidential information has been deleted. You'll also need to perform a factory reset and remove any SIM and memory cards, plus disable all locking features. Additionally, you'll need to provide all documentation requested by us to help make sure the phone you are returning is the same phone we sold or leased to you.
Make sure to check the following:
- iPhone: Before returning an iPhone, the 'Find My iPhone' feature must be disabled. For more information see Apple Support
- Other device: If you're returning a phone from another manufacturer, make sure you disable any kind of security lock settings on the phone. If you lose the phone, these settings can remote lock the mobile phone to protect it from data theft. These security lock settings must be turned off before you return the phone. If you're unsure, please check the user guide for the phone
When I received the phone, it included a bonus gift. Do I need to return this?
You'll have to refer to the conditions of the 'Bonus Gift Offer' to see whether both the phone and gift will need to be returned when cancelling. If the bonus gift was advertised as free, you do not need to return it.
What if the phone is not returned in good working order or not received within 14 days?
If the phone is not in good working order or not received within 14 days, you are only eligible for part of this offer and will be charged as follows:
- On My Plan Plus plans, you'll be charged any remaining handset repayments (including any phone credits that Optus covers). Optus will still credit the current month’s access charge and handset repayment (excluding any handset credit Optus was going to cover)
- On My Plan Flex plans, you'll be charged any remaining monthly lease charges (including any leasing credits that Optus covers) if you fail to return the phone within 14 days of the cancellation request. If you return the phone but it is not in good working order, a damage fee of up to $499 will apply but you will not be charged the remaining monthly lease charges. Optus will still waive the lease plan cancellation fee and credit the current month’s access charge and lease charge (excluding any leasing credit Optus was going to cover)