Optus is boosting its Australian Open mobile streaming service with the launch of a new TV and Video app for iPhone and select Android handsets*, bringing this year's Australian Open 2011 action to even more tennis fans.
Optus will provide its mobile customers with free and exclusive access to live streaming of Channel Seven's Australian Open 2011 match coverage on their compatible 3G mobiles plus all the latest Australian Open news, live scores**, results and video highlights. For the first time, Optus mobile customers will also be able to access this Australian Open content via WiFi on their compatible mobile device or on the Samsung Galaxy Tab.
In addition to the Australian Open 2011, the new TV and Video app will provide access to other Optus Mobile TV channels, including the OPTUS ONE80PROJECT. Optus iPhone customers can download the new TV and Video app from iTunes*** while customers with select Android devices can download it from the Optus App Store. All other Optus 3G mobile customers can access the Australian Open 2011 content via the Optus Zoo portal.
In 2010, more than 58,000 Optus customers took advantage of the Australian Open mobile streaming service, totalling over 4000 hours of live tennis streamed via The Optus Open Network.
Jann Kohlman, Group Manager of Optus Sponsorship and Community Programs, said "More and more tennis fans want to keep up to date with all the Australian Open action via their mobile device, whether it's watching tournament heavy weights battle a rally or simply keeping up to date with a player's progress.
"We expect this year to be bigger than ever with the new TV and Video application giving our customers even more choice in how they experience the tennis on their mobile device so they don't miss out on any of the action.
"To ensure Optus customers can have the best possible Australian Open experience with friends and family via their mobile phones, we've also boosted mobile network capacity in and around Melbourne Park throughout the tournament," Kohlman said.
As the official Telecommunications Partner for the Australian Open for the seventh consecutive year, Optus is enabling Tennis Australia to communicate to billions of tennis fans globally throughout the two week tournament which runs from 17 to 30 January 2011.
Optus' Australian Open 2011 mobile streaming service includes:
- Free live streaming of Channel Seven's match coverage on their compatible Optus 3G mobile;
- The opportunity to check scores of all matches** whilst also watching live streaming of channel Seven's coverage [via TV & Video app only];
- Alerts to keep track of the competition with match results or news alerts sent to their mobile [via Optus Zoo only];
- Match updates - in-progress scores live from the tournament;
- News - as it happens throughout the tournament;
- Player profiles - from the top seeds and big names of the game, get the low-down on who's who for the Australian Open 2011 [via Optus Zoo only];
- Results - day by day results for all the major matches.
To access all the action and view live streaming of Channel Seven's match coverage of the Australian Open 2011, Optus mobile customers can SMS the word 'tennis' to 966 or visit http://web.optuszoo.com.au (click on Tennis icon) and www.optus.com.au/appstore (iPhone and Android handsets only) on their mobile.
For more information, visit www.optus.com.au/australianopen.
Optus Corporate Affairs
Tel: (02) 8082 8432
Note to editors:
* The following Android handsets are compatible with the Optus TV & Video app. Application compatible with OS4.0+ (iPhone)
** Only Men and Women's Single Live Scores are available from the TV & Video App
*** iPhone customers will incur data charges for the download of the app.