Cable & Wireless Optus today announced 25 cent mobile to local calls on weekends.
Optus is the first to offer this type of innovative pricing to customers - another step designed to revolutionise calling patterns on mobile phones.
From 21 August 1999, 'Yes' Weekend will allow Optus mobile digital customers to make calls from their mobile to a local fixed line phone all weekend between midnight Friday and midnight Sunday and the first five minutes of the call will be just 25 cents.
According to Paul O'Sullivan, Director of Mobile Cable & Wireless Optus, the new 'yes' Weekend offer builds on the proven success of the company's innovative 'yes' Time offer.
"The introduction of 'yes' Time was revolutionary and its success has established the effectiveness of our mobile strategy. It has contributed to 12 months of market share growth for Optus Mobile and last week we announced the connection of our two millionth customer," said Mr O'Sullivan.
"Our 'yes' Time offer has changed the way our customers use their mobile phones. It has helped us to increase customer numbers, loyalty and off peak usage representing a fundamental shift in customer calling patterns.
"'Yes' Time has become part of the vernacular, we know that Optus mobile digital customers talk about giving their friends a call on 'yes' Time," he said.
The 'yes' Weekend offer will be available for all new and existing Optus mobile digital customers and covers calls made from a mobile phone to a local fixed line within a 165km radius from midnight on Friday to midnight on Sunday. Any calls longer than five minutes will be charged at the customer's standard rate after five minutes.
"Our research has shown that customers would like to make longer mobile calls on the weekend but are concerned about cost," said Mr O'Sullivan.
"We are now giving customers the opportunity to change their calling behaviour on weekends. With a flat charge of 25 cents for fixed line calls up to five minutes, Optus mobile digital customers now have the flexibility of their home phone when they are out and about on the weekend.
"We know that calls on the weekend tend to be more casual and from 21 August when 'yes' Weekend is introduced, our customers can enjoy a relaxed, longer chat without worrying about the cost.
"Our strategy for leadership in the mobile market includes providing innovative marketing initiatives and products that capture our customers' imaginations and deliver them major benefits and savings.
"We believe the 'yes' Weekend offer represents another landmark in the development of the mobile market and coupled with yes Time will see us continuing to build our market share and leadership position," he said.
Saturday at 3pm
Sunday at 3pm
|Personal Market||2 minute call||4.5 minute call||2 minute call||4.5 minute call|
|Optus 'yes' 10||25"||25"||25"||25"|
|Optus 'yes' 20||25"||25"||25"||25"|
|Optus 'yes' 30||25"||25"||25"||25"|
|Optus Everyday 15||25"||25"||25"||25"|
|Optus Freestyle After Hours||25"||25"||25"||25"|
|Optus Freestyle Anytime||25"||25"||25"||25"|
|Optus Freestyle Weekend||25"||25"||25"||25"|
|Telstra Communicator 30 Plus||$1.72||$3.62||43"||$1.13|
|Vodafone Easy 10||$2.54||$5.34||45"||95"|
|Vodafone Easy 30||$1.72||$3.62||45"||95"|
|Vodafone Easy 29||$1.80||$3.80||$1.35||$2.85|
|Telstra Value 10||$2.10||$4.60||$2.10||$4.60|
|Telstra Value 15||$2.10||$4.60||$2.10||$4.60|
Note: Telstra and Vodafone prices as at 27 July 1999.
Notes to editors:
- Optus Express customers, Optus Analog and Optus Mobilesat customers are not eligible for the yes Weekend offer.
- yes' Weekend applies to weekend local calls made within Australia from an Optus Mobile Digital phone to a local fixed line number within a 165km radius.
- All 'yes' Weekend calls are charged at 25 cents for the first 5 minutes per call. The remainder of the call will be charged at the standard local call rates in customers Optus Mobile Digital rate plan.
- 'yes' Weekend local calls exclude such calls as: calls to other mobiles, call diversions, VoiceMail retrievals, calls to special services such as Operator Service Calls, Directory assistance, 1800, 1900, 0050, national and international long distance,1300 numbers and short message service retrievals.
- yes' Weekend is a special promotion valid from 21 August 1999 to 30 June 2000 unless withdrawn earlier.
- To enjoy the 'yes' Weekend promotion, all calls must commence between midnight Friday and midnight Sunday.
For more information:
Cable & Wireless Optus
Phone: 02 9342 5030