Optus TV feat. Foxtel: Closed Captions
What are Closed Captions?
Closed captioning (often referred to as CC) provides an on-screen transcript of dialogue and narration in a TV program. This service is available for both live TV and recorded programs.
Changing your Closed Captions settings
Switching on Closed Captions whilst watching a program - IQ boxes only
- On your Optus TV featuring Foxtel remote, press the 'setup' button
- Highlight 'Closed Captions' from the menu and select 'on' using the arrows on your remote
- Press 'back' to return to the program. Closed captions will be displayed if they are available.
Changing your default settings for Closed Captions
Changing the default setting for Closed Caption to 'on' will enable Closed Captions to display by default on selected channels and programs only. To confirm whether Closed Captions are available, see Checking for Closed Captions on a specific program
- On your Optus TV featuring Foxtel remote, press the 'active' button
- Select 'setup'
- Select 'advanced settings'
- Select 'picture settings'
- Select 'captions & banner settings'
- Highlight 'Closed Captions' and select 'on'
- Select 'save new settings'. Press 'back' to exit.
How do I know which programs have Closed Captions?
The on-screen Foxtel TV guide will display the 'CC' symbol for all programs that have Closed Captions available.
To check whether any program has Closed Captions available, simply highlight the program in the on-screen Foxtel TV guide and press 'i' on your remote control. If Closed Captions are available, the 'CC' symbol will be displayed in the top right-hand corner.
For On Demand programs, you'll see the 'CC' symbol next to the program classification instead.
Viewing a list of Closed Captioned programs
You can view a list of programs for the next 7 days which have Closed Captions available.
- On your Optus TV featuring Foxtel remote, press the 'TV Guide' button
- Press the red button to search
- Select 'programs by Closed Caption'
- Select a category to display a 7 day listing
Closed Captions Channels
The channels listed in the table below all provide Closed Captions for selected programs
|111||Discovery Science||The Lifestyle Channel||New Release Sessions|
|111 +2||Discovery Turbo Max||The Lifestyle Channel +2||Nick Jr.|
|13th Street||Discovery Turbo Max +2||The Lifestyle Channel HD||Nickelodeon|
|13th Street +2||Disney||Lifestyle Food Channel||Showcase|
|A & E||Disney Junior||Lifestyle Food Channel +2||Sky News|
|Animal Planet||E! Entertainment||Lifestyle Home||Sky News Business Channel|
|Arena +2||Featured On Demand||Lifestyle You +2||Speed|
|BBC First||Fox 8||Max||Speed HD|
|BBC First HD||Fox 8 +2||Movies: Action||Studio|
|BBC Knowledge||Fox 8 HD||Movies: Comedy||The Style Network|
|BBC Knowledge HD||Fox Classics||Movies: Family||Syfy|
|Bio||Fox Classics +2||Movies: Masterpiece||Syfy HD|
|Boomerang||Fox Footy||Movies: Premier||TCM|
|Cartoon Network||Fox News||Movies: Romance||TLC|
|CBeebies||Fox Sports 1||Movies: Thriller||TLC +2|
|Channel [V]||Fox Sports 1 HD||MTV||TV1|
|[V] Hits||Fox Sports 2||MTV Dance||TV1 +2|
|CMC (Country Music Channel)||Fox Sports 2 HD||MTV Music||UKTV|
|The Comedy Channel||Fox Sports 3||Nat Geo Adventure||UKTV +2|
|The Comedy Channel +2||Fox Sports 3 HD||Nat Geo Adventure +2||UKTV HD|
|Crime & Investigation||Fuel TV||Nat Geo Wild||Universal|
|Discovery Channel||Foxtel Help Channel||National Geographic||The Weather Channel|
|Discovery Channel +2||FX||National Geographic +2||World Movies|
|Discovery Home & Health||History||New Release Instant|
What do I do if Closed Captions are not working?
If you've switched on Closed Captions and they are not appearing on the screen, the following steps may help to resolve the issue:
- Check whether Closed Captions are available for the channel or program. See Checking for Closed Captions on a specific program
- Try changing to a different channel, then changing back to the channel you were viewing. If your default Closed Captions setting is not set to 'on', you'll need to switch on Closed Captions again
Reset your Set Top Box (STB) by following these steps. Resetting your STB will not affect any programs scheduled in your iQ planner, however this will interrupt any programs that are currently recording:
- Switch off the power from your STB at the power point ensuring there are no lights on (please exercise care when working with electricity)
- Remove the power cord from the back of the STB, and wait 30 seconds before reconnecting the cord again and switching the power back on
- All of the lights on the STB should illuminate, indicating that the box is rebooting
- When the reboot is done, most STBs will switch back on. If your STB displays one red light (indicating it's in standby mode), press the 'Foxtel' or 'Standby' button on your remote
- Select the channel that you would like to view
Viewing Closed Captions on live TV programs
When you're watching a live TV program, the captions may not align exactly to the program audio due to the time taken to transcribe dialogue and broadcast live to television.