Satellite Broadband: Install, Faults & Disconnection
For more information on the installation, faults or the disconnection of your Optus Satellite Broadband service, take a look at the topics and links below.
What's included with a Satellite Broadband service?
- We'll install and setup all of the equipment needed to get your Satellite Broadband service up and running
- The service includes access to a primary email account and up to 4 additional email accounts
- Ongoing customer service and technical support by phone
- Onsite maintenance and repair for Optus installed satellite equipment for up to 3 years. (Details below)
What equipment is installed and setup?
- 1 satellite modem
- 1 antenna (0.96, 1.2 or 1.8 metres in diameter)
- For the 0.96 or 1.2 metre antenna, one roof, or one wall or one ground mount. For a 1.8 metre antenna, one pole mount
- An Outdoor Unit (ODU) which includes a 1 watt Solid State Power Amplifier (SSPA) and Low Noise block (LNB);
- 2 interconnecting Radio Frequency (RF) coaxial cables of up to 35 metres in length each
- 1 wall plate to terminate the RF cables
- 2 interconnecting RF coaxial cables of up to 2 metres each installed between the Satellite Modem and the wall plate
- A 2 metre Cat 5 patch cable (that connects the Satellite Modem to the Ethernet port on your computer)
If your installation is non-standard, additional equipment and installation charges may apply.
What is a SSPA? What is an LNB?
The SSPA (Solid State Power Amplifier) amplifies the signal sent to the satellite. The Low Noise Block Convertor (LNB) receives the signal from the satellite. Both the SSPA and LNB are mounted on the antenna infrastructure and are connected to your Satellite modem via coaxial cables.
Do I need a phone line or separate broadband connection?
Optus Satellite Broadband uses a direct 2-way satellite connection, so you don't need a separate phone line or broadband equipment.
Do I own the equipment?
Yes, once you've paid the equipment and installation charges, ownership of the on-site Satellite Broadband equipment provided by Optus transfers to you.
Faults, equipment maintenance & repair
With our Satellite Broadband service you'll receive on-site maintenance at no additional cost for up to 3 years from the date of installation of the Optus Satellite Broadband equipment. This on-site maintenance offer does not apply if you've transferred your service from another provider.
Maintenance includes travel, repair or replacement of purchased equipment where applicable. If the Satellite Broadband modem becomes faulty you'll need to return it to us for repair or replacement. We aim to complete on site maintenance/repair within 5-7 business days, however this can vary based on your location.
Please note: Repair and maintenance resulting from any of the following will come at additional cost regardless of the time since your installation date.
- Non-Optus equipment (eg. your computer)
- Interference with or modification to the modem or a failure to use it in accordance with instructions
- A power surge, lightning or any other circumstance beyond Optus' control
- Misuse or vandalism
How do I relocate or cancel Satellite Broadband?
If you're moving to an area covered by our Satellite Broadband service, we'd be more than happy to assist with getting you up and running at your new premises. One thing to keep in mind, due to the usual distances involved and the special nature of Satellite installations we're going to need at least 30 days advance notice to reconnect you. So give us a call on 1300 361 930 to get the ball rolling.
There will also be a fee for installation at your new premises which we'll discuss with you when you apply to relocate.
If you need to disconnect give us a call on 1300 361 930. If you're still within your contract period (usually they're 18 months long) you may be charged a cancellation fee, which is usually your regular monthly fee multiplied by the number of months left to go on your contract.
You can check out the summarised details of your contract in your plan's critical information summary.
As the ownership of the Satellite equipment transfers to you after initial installation if you'd like it to be removed, you'd need to make these arrangements privately. If you need help we can take you through your options though, so give us a call.
Have further questions or need help?
New Satellite Broadband customers
Call 1300 882 028 to arrange a connection to a new Satellite Broadband service or to transfer your service from another provider.
Existing Satellite Broadband customers
Call 1300 361 930 for support or to arrange disconnection of your Satellite Broadband service