International Roaming: How to Check Estimated Usage / Rates
If you're looking for international roaming rates and pricing details or need help tracking your estimated roaming usage while overseas, take a look at the info we've got for you below.
Jump to a topic:
- What does international roaming cost?
- How do I find rates for maritime / cruise ship calls or aerospace calls?
- How do I see my roaming usage estimates?
- Will I receive roaming usage alerts?
- Further tips
It's easy to check roaming rates with the latest version of the My Optus App. Activating roaming is free and to keep charges as simple as possible, you'll find that participating countries will fall into 2 simple charging zones. Just choose your service from below to check the rates.
Don't forget to check if an Optus Travel Pack is available with your service type and destination. Travel Packs offer even simpler rates, greater flexibility and of course better value than standard roaming charges.
A note about Prepaid roaming
You must have enough 'Real Money' / 'Credit' / 'Roaming data' / 'Extras Credit' / 'Travel Credit' to use Prepaid roaming overseas.
A note about Postpaid roaming
Keep in mind roaming usage is not included in your plan and will be billed on top of your regular monthly bill. So things like accessing email, social media, mobile internet, messaging and calls will cost you extra.
Select one of the buttons above, then type either airspace or maritime in the destination search box. Keep in mind that only calls and text are available in maritime and aerospace zones and that usage is excluded from your plan and any optional add-ons you may have (e.g. Optus Travel Packs).
When you're back in Australia
These options are available 24/7 and free to use in Australia
- App: Use the latest version of the My Optus App
- SMS: Use Optus SMS Menu to check your usage
- Online: Use My Account (see the steps below)
- Call: 1509 and follow the self-service prompts
While you're Overseas
- App: Use the latest version of the My Optus App over Wi-Fi.
- Online: Use My Account over Wi-Fi, details below
Select your plan from the list below:
Where available we'll send you free SMS' to keep you informed of your roaming usage. You'll also get SMS alerts each time you exceed approx. $100 of roaming usage. Roaming usage alerts are estimates and may be delayed.
- Get to know our simplified roaming rates and zones
- Make sure you read our companion roaming articles linked below
International Roaming: What You Need To Know
International Roaming: How to Add / Remove & Use
International Roaming: Optus Travel Packs (Postpaid)
International Roaming: Optus Travel Packs (Prepaid)
- Use secure Wi-Fi to access the internet on your travels (where you can)
- Download / update the My Optus App before you go and use it or My Account over Wi-Fi to keep on top of your usage, balance and bills overseas
- Take note of any roaming usage alert messages that we send to you