Fixed & Home Wireless Broadband Usage Alerts: FAQs & Opt Out
You can choose to have usage alerts sent to you via SMS or e-mail according to your preference. We’ve put together some helpful ways to effectively manage your data usage.
On My Plan Plus or Shared Data Plan?
To help monitor data usage across your Data Pool, you can set up Customer Alerts for your Mobile Broadband plans see this article for details.
How to add, change or remove broadband usage alerts
You can make changes to your usage alerts settings in My Account. For Fixed Broadband only, you also have the option to make these changes in Member Services if you prefer.
Using My Account
Click a button to make these changes in My Account. Click 'Show steps' to learn how.
How to add, change or remove your usage alerts in My Account
- Log in with your My Account username, not your service or phone number
- Follow steps A & B as shown in the image below
- Select the relevant service then click its 'Settings' tab
- In the 'Settings tab', scroll to the 'Usage Alerts' option and click 'Manage'
- In the Usage Alerts screen you can add, remove or edit your usage options by following the prompts.
Using Member Services ~ fixed broadband only
You can make changes to your Fixed Broadband usage alert settings in Member Services. Click 'Show Steps' for help.
How to add, change or remove your usage alerts in Member Services
- Log in to Member Services: Using your primary username & password
- Follow steps A, B & C as shown below
- In the centre pane: You'll see your primary email address that receives usage alerts by default
- Down the page you can nominate an extra email address and/or a mobile number to receive additional alerts. (They don't have to be Optus email addresses or numbers)
You can set up both, however you can only edit one alert at a time.
- After adding, changing or removing your additional alert details click the associated 'Change' or 'Remove' button.
- A message will display confirming your change.
When are internet usage alerts sent?
You'll receive usage alerts when you've reached 50%, 85% and 100% of your plans' base level data allowance. If you're on a My Mobile Broadband Plan' we'll also send usage alerts when you've reached 85% and 100% for each extra 1GB of data.
If you're on a Home Wireless Broadband plan, we’ll send usage alerts when you’ve reached 85% and 100% of your 10GB additional data allowance.
E-mail and SMS usage alerts are not generated in real-time and a delay of up to 48 hours may be experienced due to system limitations. This delay can also mean that during the last 48 hours of your billing cycle, you may not receive alerts.
Fixed and non-My Plan Mobile Broadband SMS/e-mail usage alerts are sent 24/7. Mobile Broadband 'My Plan' or 'My Plan for iPad and Home Wireless Broadband plans' SMS/e-mail usage alerts will only be sent between 9am to 12 midnight (AEST).
Therefore it's important that you understand that usage alerts are an approximation and that you do not solely use the usage alert service as your only means of monitoring your usage. Further ways to monitor your usage are available in this article.
Why have I received a 100%, but no 85% usage alert?
Usage alerts are not generated in real time and can be delayed by up to 48 hours. In this time you may pass 1 alert threshold and reach the next. Our systems will then send you the usage alert that is most relevant to your usage.
I've received a notification saying alerts have been suspended?
If you change or renew your plan, or your service is suspended, usage alerts will cease for the current usage period (billing month). Your alerts will resume from your next billing period.
During this time we recommend monitoring your usage via these options.
Can I change my usage alert notification settings at any time?
Yes. You can change or remove the receiving email address or mobile phone number in My Account by simply repeating the steps above.
Note: By default, Fixed Broadband usage alerts are sent to your primary OptusNet e-mail account.