3G/4G: Mobile Network & Sim Card Compatibility
Want to learn more about device and SIM card compatibility with our 4G Plus and 3G networks? Take a look at these frequently asked questions and related links.
Looking for information on the 2G Network closure? Click here.
Can I use my device on Optus 4G?
To access our 4G Plus network, you need a 4G phone, modem or tablet that is compatible with the Optus 4G Plus network in your area. You’ll also need a compatible plan, as some of the older plans don't have 4G enabled. Your 4G phone or device can still access 3G in 3G coverage areas, but you'll be able to feel the speed when you visit a 4G Plus coverage area. Our coverage maps now have a new feature that helps check whether your BYO device is compatible. Visit the coverage page here
WHICH FREQUENCIES PROVIDE 4G PLUS NETWORK COVERAGE?
Our 4G Plus network uses multiple frequencies (LTE 700 / 1800 / 2100 / 2300 / 2600 MHz) to provide coverage and capacity. 4G coverage availability will vary depending on your device and location.
4G PLUS NETWORK FREQUENCY LOCATIONS
- FD-LTE 700: We're using 700MHz to expand our network nationally, including capital cities and major regional and holiday destinations – plus 700MHz provides a better data experience indoors as low-band frequencies like 700 MHz penetrate further into buildings.
- FD-LTE 1800: 4G in big cities such as Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, Adelaide, and Perth, plus a number of smaller cities and metropolitan locations.
- FD-LTE 2100: 4G in select locations only, such as Cairns, Darwin, Hobart and Sunshine Coast.
- TD-LTE 2300: 4G in big cities such as Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, Adelaide and Canberra, plus selected metropolitan locations.
- FD-LTE 2600: 4G in selected regional centres and holiday towns, and busy areas in major cities
HOW DO I KNOW WHICH FREQUENCIES MY DEVICE SUPPORTS?
You can check your device manual for the specifications. If you bought your device from Optus, simply check our coverage maps to find out what coverage is available in your area, based on the device you plan to use.
HOW DO I KNOW WHAT 4G PLUS NETWORK COVERAGE IS AVAILABLE IN MY AREA?
Take a look at our coverage maps to find out if you are in a 4G Plus network coverage area. Just type in your address and select the phone you plan to use. You can also find out if 4G is coming, as the maps can show you three to six months ahead of time when 4G will reach you.
ARE 4G DEVICES COMPATIBLE WITH OPTUS 3G AND VICE VERSA?
Optus sold 4G devices are compatible with the Optus 3G network and all or some of 4G Plus network. However 3G only devices are not compatible with the Optus 4G Plus network.
Can I use my 3G SIM card with a 4G device?
Yes. But you must change to a 4G plan to use the 4G Plus network.
Please note: SIM cards designed for Mobile Phones are not interchangeable with SIM cards required for tablets or Mobile Broadband devices