How to Upgrade Your Postpaid Phone / Tablet
Upgrading your Optus Mobile Phone / Tablet is quick and easy. Just check out the article below or jump to...
Check your upgrade eligibility / contract status
There are 2 ways you can do this. Both are available 24/7 and are free to use in Australia.
- Via the My Optus Tablet app (Mobile Only)
- Via My Account: Click Show Steps below
How to see your contract end date in My Account
- Log in with your My Account username, not your phone number
- Follow steps A & B as shown in the image below
- Select your Mobile Phone service, then click the 'Service Summary' tab to see the contract end date and further plan details
- Your contract end date will show in a location similar to the example below.
If you're not eligible / still within contract
If you're not eligible but decide to upgrade then you may incur an early termination, change of rate plan and/ or equipment pay out fee. For further details on these charges or if you wish to discuss other options call us on 133 937.
If you're eligible / completed your contract
Click the upgrade button in My Account and follow the steps below to go shopping!
- Go to the Optus Online Shop, and shop for a new phone / tablet.
- Choose the 'Upgrade' option next to the device/ plan you'd like
(Log in to My Account to save you time)
- Select from our range of optional extras
- Be sure to select 'Keep my existing number' if the option is presented
- Enter your delivery details. Be sure to enter the correct delivery address as it cannot be changed once your order is submitted
- Check your cart, delivery details and then submit your order
- Receive and activate your new SIM card / device
If you're in contract on My Plan Plus / Business or My Mobile Broadband Plus / Business and signed up after 11 March 2016
If you’re still in contract on the latest version on My Plan Plus/ Business or My Mobile Broadband Plus/ Business, after 12 months you have the option to trade up for $99 and change your current device for a brand new, shiny one as long as you sign up on a new 24 month plan!
- What does trade up mean for Mobile?
- What does trade up mean for Mobile Broadband?
- How do I trade up and what will it cost me?
- Is my phone in good working order?
- What should I do before I trade up?
It means, after 12 months of your 24 month contract on the latest version of My Plan Plus/ Business, you have the option to get a new phone. Easy! Click here for more info on New Phone Trade Up.
As long as you’re on the latest version of the $30 My Mobile Broadband or higher, you have the option to trade up. This means, after 12 months of your 24 month contract, you have the option to get a new phone. Click here for the low down on New Tablet Trade Up.
It all depends on how you want to trade up. Check out your options below:
- I want to keep my existing phone / tablet but I also want a new one
You can have your cake and eat it too! You can choose to keep your current device and get a new one. After 12 months, you’ll just have to pay out the remaining cost of your current phone / tablet (including any amount we were going to cover). You can then recontract onto a new 24 month plan with a new device. Just recontract using My Account, or give our Recontract Team a call. As a heads up, after recontracting, your device and plan repayments may be different.
- I'm happy to hand in my existing phone / tablet and swap it for a new one
After 12 months, if you want to swap your device for a brand new, shiny one, there is a one-off fee of $99. If this sounds like a plan, just pop into an Optus store so we can confirm your current device is in good working order. You can then recontract on the spot onto a new 24 month plan and leave with a new phone / tablet of your choice.
We know that a little wear and tear is normal. So long as your handset functions normally and meets the following criteria, you’re good to go:
- Turns on and off
- The touchscreen is fully functional with no imperfections (e.g. lines or marks)
- Has no missing buttons or damage to other components (e.g. charging port, SIM tray etc.)
- Has no cracks or severe scratches (including the touchscreen)
- You’ve disabled any locking features (e.g. Find my iPhone on iOS)
We all know how upsetting it can be to lose those beloved photos and contacts so, before you trade up, remember back up your device. If you’re not sure how to do this, and need more information, just click on your device; Android, Apple, Windows. Once you’ve got a back up, make sure you remove your SIM card and memory card and delete any personal/ confidential information from your device.
For Apple devices, you’ll have to disable the Find My iPhone feature before you trade up.
- Turn on your device
- Choose ‘Settings’
- Select ‘iCloud’
- Tap and turn off ‘Find my iPhone’
- Enter your Apple ID and password and select ‘Turn off’
If you’re still unsure, have a chat to Apple Support here.
For any other devices, make sure any locking features have been disabled before visiting an Optus store to trade up. These settings can lock your phone / tablet remotely if you lose it, so if you are not sure how to do this, just check the user guide for your device.
What do I need to bring?
You only need to bring in your device. Yes, that means you get to keep your accessories. Bonus!
We have put together these plan usage guides to help you make the right choice.