Optus today announced it had launched its digital television service, 'Optus TV Featuring FOXTEL Digital', to new and existing cable customers.
Chris Lane, Group Director Products & Delivery, Optus Consumer, said the digital television launch was a significant step in Optus' subscription television history.
"Telecommunications is becoming synonomous with entertainment and information - five years ago convergence was hype, today it's a reality," Mr Lane said.
"Digital television is an exciting new step for Optus and we look forward to providing the widest choice in subscription television content to Optus customers.
"The launch of Optus TV Featuring FOXTEL Digital ensures our customers will enjoy the interactivity and enhanced features that digital television provides.
"Customers will now have access to more than 100 channels of programming with superior sound and picture quality, FOXTEL digital guide and FOXTEL iQ personal digital recorder, making Optus TV an exciting new consumer experience.
"Digital television will strengthen Optus' ability to offer customers a one stop shop for all their information and entertainment needs, and best position us to provide compelling bundled plans that include Optus TV, home telephony, broadband internet and mobile services," Mr Lane said.
To celebrate the launch of Optus TV Featuring FOXTEL Digital, customers who take both Optus TV Featuring FOXTEL Digital and an Optus home telephony plan will receive up to $10 off their monthly television bill.
"FOXTEL recently announced it would convert 100 per cent of subscription television homes to digital and switch off analogue services by March 2007. We are very excited about the superior content choices, service innovation and interactive enhancements we can offer to subscription television customers today. We see a strong future for the industry and we welcome Optus into the very promising world of digital television," FOXTEL's Executive Director of Sales and Customer Contact, Guy Maine, said.
Optus TV Featuring FOXTEL Digital will be available to customers on the Optus Hybrid Fibre Coaxial (HFC) which passes 1.4 million homes in Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane. A range of packages and services will be available enabling customers to choose an option suited to their viewing and entertainment tastes. These include:
- FOXTEL iQ - a personal digital recorder enabling customers to pause and rewind live television, and record two programs at once while watching a third pre-recorded program;
- Movies - nine dedicated movie channels plus FOXTEL Box Office screening blockbuster movies in wide screen every 30 minutes;
- Sports - interactive sports news and results available 24 hours a day, including coverage on selected live NRL, AFL, Rugby Super 12s, tennis, NBL and cricket. Multiple camera angles, live statistics, commentary or stadium sound and highlights during the game;
- Weather Active - up to the minute weather information including a snapshot of current weather in your suburb, seven day forecasts and surf conditions;
- Sky News Active - personalisation of news with eight different news screens simultaneously;
- Music - channels to suit every taste plus 30 audio/radio channels with music for your every mood;
- Digital Guide - an interactive program guide that allows customers to program viewing for a specific time and provides reminders;
- Timeshift Channels - provides 10 timeshift or replay channels where the original channel is delayed by two hours.
Optus TV (formerly known as Optus Vision) was formed in September 1994 and activated its first subscription television customer on September 20, 1995.
In April this year, Optus and FOXTEL reached agreement for Optus to sell the FOXTEL Digital service. The agreement between FOXTEL and Optus was an extension of the Content Supply Agreement that commenced in 2002.
Optus TV Featuring FOXTEL Digital pricing
|*Package||Stand alone monthly cost||'Yes' rewards monthly cost (when bundled with home phone)|
|Optus TV Basic||$50.95||$45.95|
|Movies & Value||$86.85||$76.85|
Customers can register their interest by calling 1800 502 233 or visiting Optus TV.
Sheila Dhillon / Sarah Turner
Optus Corporate Affairs
02 9342 9021 / 02 9342 8432
*Optus TV Featuring FOXTEL Digital services are available in Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane. One-off installation costs are not included in package prices. Early cancellation fees apply.