One of our greatest impacts on the environment is electricity and fuel use associated with our operations. As our network and services expand, the demand on these resources increases. In a conscious effort to focus on these issues, our Energy Policy includes a target of improving energy efficiency by 20% from 2008 to 2015. To achieve this we have a number of initiatives in place and we are continually investigating opportunities to become more energy efficient, and have:
- Replaced over 3000 air conditioners in mobile phone base stations with temperature controlled fans to provide “free cooling” when external temperatures are lower than internal
- Changed the fleet of over 400 Multifunction devices (combined printer, photocopier, fax, scanner) to significantly more energy efficient equipment and with the reduction in number of devices reduced our energy use for this service by about 80%
- Relocate air flows within exchanges to maximise the benefit of air-conditioning
- Reduced the lighting cycles for offices where possible
- Installed movement sensors in meeting rooms to ensure lights are turned off when not in use
For the 2012-2013 report under the Energy Efficiency Opportunities Act (Cth) click here.
Whilst the number of vehicles and distance travelled has increased across our operations, our fuel consumption actually decreased, a direct reflection of our change to more fuel-efficient vehicles within our fleet.
Water efficiency measures already implemented across our corporate offices have been estimated to save around 21,700,000 litres of water per annum. We have had no reports of water discharges from our offices or facilities, and no water bodies were affected by runoff from our sites.
Water efficiency measures are already implemented across our corporate offices, particularly at Macquarie Park where a 1.6 million litre rainwater harvesting system is in place. It is estimated that across all our facilities we save around 21,700,000 litres of water per annum. Optus corporate offices now use fan-cooled drinking water units in place of the previously used water-cooled coolers, which used an extra 18 litres of water per day. This change has helped us conserve around 1 million litres of water a year nationally.
Detailed information on our energy efficiency and sustainability initiatives can be found in our 2011 Corporate Responsibilty Report
Click here for more information on our participation with Earth Hour.