Optus today successfully launched the A$500 million C1 satellite.
The C1 satellite is jointly funded by Optus and the Australian Department of Defence, and is the largest hybrid communications and military satellite ever launched.
Optus Chief Operating Officer, Paul O'Sullivan said the successful launch of C1 reaffirms Optus' position as Australia's leading satellite operator.
"The demand for satellite communications services is growing strongly for direct to home subscription television, for remote and rural communications, and for broadband.
"As Australia's leading satellite provider, Optus is launching C1 to provide the additional satellite capacity that Australia needs," Mr O'Sullivan said.
Fifty per cent of the C1 satellite's payload is allocated to the Department of Defence. The balance will be used by Optus to increase its capacity to deliver broadcast services, high speed internet and voice and data communications across Australia and into Asia.
C1 is a significant addition to the combined satellite resources of Optus and SingTel. Optus can now give its customers access to more than 25 satellites. This positions Optus firmly as a leading satellite operator in the Asia Pacific region and will open further business opportunities for both Australian and Asian businesses.
"C1 will contribute significantly to Optus' bottom line. Launch revenues from C1 will be A$250 million, and Optus will receive an additional $40 million a year from the sale of C1 transponder capacity to Foxtel," Mr O'Sullivan said.
- The C1 satellite was launch from French Guiana on an Ariane 5G rocket.
- The C1 satellite was launched at nearly full capacity and will be positioned in orbit at 156 degrees east longitude.
- The satellite has 24 Ku band transponders that will provide coverage for Australia, New Zealand and East Asia.
- The C1 satellite has a 15 year life span.
- The C1 satellite is controlled from Optus' Sydney earth station.
- The C1 satellite is the fourth satellite in Optus' fleet.
For more information:
Optus Corporate Affairs
Tel: (02) 9342 7850